“New Beginnings Alternate” Gallery – Now Open
***OK – first off, if you do not like body horror or gore – DO NOT CLICK THAT IMAGE OR GO TO THE GALLERY named New Beginnings Alternate***
I’l going to repost what I spoke about before just so it’s clear. This is clearly not going to be everyone’s cup of tea. In fact I doubt it will be very popular since it’s off the usual BE/GTS fare I do.
Backstory and page Breakdown
I’ve done a BE/GTS variation story that is a bit Cronenberg/body horror. Originally wanted to publish it since it uses all the characters allows me to clean up parts of the storyline in a good way. The basic gist is Luna and the gang have taken the whole energy thing so far now they infected the whole planet. This triggers a massive growth outbreak but it is more a destructive one than the usual ‘grow real big and have sex stories’ I tend to do.
In the story people will seem to *ahem* die BUT and this is a big BUT they actually won’t die in the end. The last bit is a reveal of how they were converted to pure energy and ‘reconstituted’ in a less volatile state. It’s a bit comic re-boot style but I like the art and I think there is a lot of fun way to draw people growing in the Cronenberg variety. Most of the lead up story (which WILL be published here as part of the regular canon) shows people just growing but much later it takes a funky turn (and this is what are seeing now).
If you are not into stuff like Random Musings Part 5 then this will likely not have much appeal. It is a variation on that theme. I’m not into that stuff but I did it that one time as a response to the “I’m gonna blow” question I got asked since I had characters say that over and over. This is pretty much Random Musings 5 with better (?) art. Interestingly – I pretty much NEVER get comments on that story so I guess I know what people think!
A few caveats first – all of them important to consider.
- Body Horror/Distortion – This is not any sort of a usual GLab story but it does have the characters. If you look at Random Musings 5 and it’s not your thing then this might not be your cup of tea. It is a more graphic version and arguably a lot more dark in terms of tone for the first part. It does end on a ‘hey, we’re OK’ note but be warned.
- I originally intended to never publish this here – it’s just not the kind of fare the site normally puts out and I have been trying to think of reasons to release it but nothing compelling comes to mind. It came about when I was finishing another story and I just went with it (you can see the pages start near #150 so the story was well underway). Finally I relented since I figure there might be some interest and perhaps spurs some useful discussion about GLab direction.
- It was a nice exercise in drawing and gave me some other story ideas.
I will say FIRST AND FOREMOST I’m not a fan of taking out characters like this and mostly this is done as a break from the regular stuff. It’s fun to draw and there is something interesting about seeing characters I know and have developed be put in a situation like this. This is more along the lines of a bad science experiment in terms of the growth. The setup is a large outbreak and something about this particular outbreak is new and different. The things that used to protect the growing people are gone so they all experience odd distortions and changes – effectively destroying their bodies as they grow.
NORMALLY during stories people are totally immune to all damage, danger and such in the growth state. There is no worry from things like vacuum or being crushed in a building. This time around that is all gone.
To fast forward to the ending and give you an idea of what happens. We find out later in the story all the people who are ‘gone’ are actually being stored like transporter patterns inside a matrix-type computer system developed by the government. They are alive and well and aware of what is happening. Everyone who ‘dies’ gets moved into this matrix and stored as a life/energy pattern. At the end some deus ex machina will pull them back to the world and regular storytelling resumes.
Again, normally anyone who is ‘infected’ is effectively invulnerable in any form. What would happen is they would just grow large (hulk out) if a situation of great danger arose. The deal is – in any regular story the people are giant energy beings of some sort. They have mass, they look like people and think they are people but they can do things that normally aren’t possible by just large chunks of biomatter. Luna in space at the size of 2 miles wide is a giant energy being (think of Silver Surfer or Galactus). She would not really have to worry about air or pressure, being crushed as she grows, extreme temperature or anything. She might *think* she is hungry or sleepy but the truth would be she is neither. This line of thinking has never been exposed fully in the stories. It’s just my back thinking to get them into situations.
We see a few characters on these pages. I am pretty much just going through the regular cast and knocking people out one by one. OK below are page breakdowns in case the drawings and text aren’t clear. The setup in the prior 150 or so pages is there has been a worldwide outbreak. The thinking was every single person on the planet was ‘infected’ or ‘altered’ by the energy virus. Bill and Karen (the antagonists) are hatching Bill’s plan to have Luna become a giant growth bomb and release all her energy and effectively make them super beings. This is not explained in any way out loud but that was my thinking. They were not interested in everyone being large as much as the perceived consequences of Luna expending her power and them being able to contain it and use it in some manner. Being recently ‘large’ they feel they are more adept at harnessing whatever the growth energy gives them. It’s not completely logical but maybe the growth is affecting them mentally.
- P147-p152 – This is just the very first part of the outbreak and it deals with Luna and Hannah being the first victims
- P153-p155 – these are two generic military techs. They are giants and watching the mayhem around them. These pages were mostly drawing experiments and testing out ideas.
- P156-p158 – this is Bill and Karen (at size). Karen has found out about Luna and is confronting Bill about the problem.
- P159-p162 (top of page) – This is Alexander and Naomi. They are also giants and going at it.
- P162 (bottom of page) – p166 (top of page) – Mrs Furihara and Mika. This is Naomi’s Mother and sister. The idea here is they are miles and miles from where Naomi is BUT since they were all exposed about the same time (or should I say re-exposed in Naomi’s case) they share a link. They are not in GTS form as you can see but perhaps Mom senses something impending?
- p166-p167 random school class who have been infected
- p168-p170 President (of the USA?!) gets a call about the raging epidemic. It ends up she has little time to react.
- p170-p171 The mother of the girl the President was speaking with
- p172 Benton and Tony (Stark?) talk about what is going on and the solution. 4th wall breaking to show the readers things are fine
- p173-p174 small meeting about a solution for the epidemic with some previously infected soldiers. One woman (Kate Onestar) has built a suit that effectively protects the wearer from the infection problems.
- p175-p176 we are with patient 0 and patient 1. They are discussing how Benton and Stark are on the way over to help find a solution using the DNA print of patient zero. The two women discuss who is actually patient zero since that person should be totally immune.
- p176-p179 side vignette of a previously infected girl from GLab 6 going on a date.
- p180-p181 Stark and Onestar are talking about building a solution for the epidemic. She is asking him about how he created some tech names MR-X to protect the wearer as she did. Stark realized he did not do this and he will be infected without her tech. She ends up being too close when he loses control.
- p182-p184 Benton and patient zero are working on the final switch. They receive a signal that Onestar has activate the generators (somewhat posthumously). Benton is using Stark’s tech for protection so he experiences a similar fate. Both their changes (Stark and Benton) have created a more aggressive variation due to Stark’s faulty ideas
- p185-p187 Patient Zero (Rachel) though plugged by Benton still thinks her status will protect. it only slows things down a little. She struggles to active the device before succumbing. She succeeds.
- p188 HAPPY ENDING! All is well. or *is* it?! HA!
Hope you enjoyed this alternate look at the Growth Lab.